Just two years ago I booked my first overseas trip with a friend, I was excited, I was nervous, I was ready to pack everything and board the plane to go! Although I had no idea what it was like to ‘travel’ as my only holiday was when I was twelve and went with my grandma & two family members to Queensland in which I don’t remember, I was extremely looking forward to this trip as it was the beginning of my love for travel and experiencing the culture and lifestyle of another part of the world.
These are the steps and points to take in, in order for bringing out the best in planning your amazing first (or not first) trip:
- Make sure that you have a valid passport (Depending on what country you are from, I would recommend that you do your research on the validity dates and other policies that also relate to passports).
- Researching on your ideal destination & the culture (I recommend that you check out http://smartraveller.gov.au/ for safety tips and advice about destination of travel.
- Prepare for the weather and climate in destination.
- See if your destination of travel requires a Travel VISA to enter the country (countries require for you to apply to get entry into their country before you can enter).
- Booking flights & accomodation (whether it’s through a Travel Agent or yourself).
- Looking into travel insurance (optional although it’s worth it incase anything goes wrong on your trip).
- Vaccinations from your local GP (depending on destination your travelling to).
- Currency exchange (optional whether you want to do it before you leave, at the airport or at your destination).
- Travel card (in which you can load money up on the currency of your choice onto a card then you can use it while you’re at your destination).
- Learning the language (it’s totally optional-if your travel destination has a language that is foreign to your own, learning a few new cultural words wouldn’t hurt!).
- Check if your mobile carrier works overseas at a good rate otherwise purchase a Travel Sim (Vodafone is usually good).
- Make a photocopy of your documents and keep it on you (incase of an emergency).
- Gather all your packing essentials.
Then you will be all ready and set to go for your travels!