Last October I travelled to the South Islands of New Zealand,
This was part of our subject that we were studying Sustainable Tourism. My teacher had selected a few people from our class and another class for this trip, the ones that were chosen were very fortunate to be able to experience this. We travelled from one town/city to another and participated in activities on a daily basis. I highly recommend New Zealand to anyone who hasn’t been, it is a country that you will fall in love with.
I will provide information about the South Islands which will be categorised below that will go with each destination along with photos of my trip!
New Zealand is a country in the southwestern Pacific Ocean consisting of 2 main islands – North & South. It is a 3 hour and 30 minute plane ride from Melbourne flying with any airline that flies to New Zealand.
The most common languages that people speak in New Zealand are Maori, New Zealand Silent Language & English.
The currency in New Zealand is the NZD New Zealand Dollar.
Best season to travel
Summer: December, January & February
Autumn: March, April & May
Spring: September, October & November
It depends on how you spend your days although money does add up quite quickly whilst you’re over there. On average I would say $50-80 AUD is enough to spend for the day.
Wellington is the capital of New Zealand.
Sights & attractions in Wellington
- Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa
- Space Place of Carter Observatory
- Wellington Botanic Garden & more
Nelson is a city on the South Island of New Zealand facing Tasman Bay.
Best things to do in Nelson
- Go on a hike at the Abel Tasman National Park
- Visit the Nelson Lakes National Park
- Go to Mount Owen
- Visit Kahurangi National Park & more
Kaikoura is a town on the east coast of the South Island of New Zealand.
Best things to do in Kaikoura
- Go for a hike or mountain climb at Kaikoura Ranges
- Dolphin Encounter – swim with the dolphins
- Seal Swim Kaikoura – swim with the seals
- Go to the Ohau Waterfall Walk
- Take some photos at the Point Kean Viewpoint
- Visit the Innovative Waste Kaikoura and see how waste is transformed & more
Dunedin is a city in New Zealand.
Sights & attractions in Dunedin
- Otago Peninsula
- Toitu Otago Settlers Museum
- Cadbury World Dunedin
- Dunedin Chinese Garden & more
Te Anau is a town in the Southland region of the South Island of New Zealand.
Sights and attractions in Te Anau
- Lake Te Anau
- Milford Sound
- Fiordland National Park
- Doubtful Sound
- Lake Te Anau Glowworm Caves & more
Queenstown is a resort town in Otago in the southwest of New Zealand’s South Island.
Sights and attractions in Queenstown
- Lake Wakatipu
- Coronet Peak
- The Remarkables
- Hollyford Track
- Skycity Queenstown & more
All photos posted on my blog are taken and belong to me.