Weeks after coming back from my trip I had booked another trip for 2017 to Europe, the reason why I booked the trip was because my best friend was planning on going there to spend time with her friend who had family over there. She suggested that I should come in which I simply agreed on without a doubt! When booking my trip I wanted to go to a music festival over in Europe as it was festival season, we were trying to decide between the UK or Amsterdam in which we chose Amsterdam.
Although I have been to Amsterdam before I didn’t have the opportunity to spend time there when I was there last, due to being on a tour which was scheduled and the only free time I had was 15 minutes. Luckily this time around I had the chance to spend a few days in Amsterdam and explore the city!
Overall my experience was pleasant in Amsterdam it’s definitely a city to visit if you’re in Europe, what I liked about it was that it was a very peaceful city. Although the only thing I would have to say that I disliked there was the restaurant options, in the city it was mostly unhealthy food options which made it difficult to settle for the options around. You definitely need to do your research before you go if you like eating healthy.
I will provide information about Amsterdam along with photos below of my trip!
Amsterdam is the capital city of Netherlands located in the North of Europe. It is a 23 hour and 15 minute plane ride from Melbourne, flying with Emirates with a stopover in Dubai. Otherwise if you’re flying with other airlines it generally takes longer.
The common language that people speak in Amsterdam is Dutch and English.
The currency in Amsterdam is the EUR Euro.
What to know
- In many parts of Amsterdam especially buildings the staircases inside are steep so be warned
- Photography is prohibited at the Red Light District so avoid taking any photos or videos of the sex workers, as doing so could get you in trouble by police
- Amsterdam is a bike friendly city so expect to see hundreds of bikes everywhere
- If you’re planning to visit the museum attractions then best time to visit would be in the morning, as that way you’ll avoid the lines of waiting. It is a good idea to pre book your tickets online prior to going
Best season to travel
Spring: March, April & May
Summer: June, July & August
Winter: December, January & February
It depends on how you spend your days although money does add up quite quickly whilst you’re over there. On average I would say $100+ AUD is enough to spend for the day.
Sights and attractions
- Dam Square
- Canal ride
- National Monument
- Royal Palace of Amsterdam
- Anne Frank House
- Rijksmuseum & more
All photos posted on my blog are taken and belong to me.